The Smoking Section (Masthead) Respect Our Fresh!

Misery Not So Bad for Louis Logic




Words by DrewBreez


The sensibilities of our rappers usually include a penchant for dionysian indulgence. Louis Logic's 2003 record Sin-a-Matic veered into the repugnant hilarity of alcoholism all while blending quick-witted punchlines and sharp lyrics. In a genre much domineered by maryjane referrals and gung-ho gangsterism, each one of Louis Logic's songs stands apart from the flank of diluted rap chronicles. He raps mostly about drinking, the downfalls of relationships and the consistent humor that lies in failure. Resignation about the somberness of these topics notwithstanding, Louis and I talked about matching the intimacy of his debut and how his personal ballads have taken on new life among his fans.


TSS> What are the effects of the personal connection you've had with fans through your music?

LL> Sometimes it's inspiring. People come up to me and say 'I've been through that' or 'my friend had that happen to him' and I appreciate that. My music can be like a word for word group hug although it has made a furious drinker of a fan or two. I can't say I'm proud of that but I don't regret the things I talk about. I mean, I know that I'm a nerd so it's cool to have other nerds come up to you and be like 'you're the king of the nerds' because you shared your experience.

TSS> So people do come up to you expressing the themes of your music?

LL> Yeah, sometimes it works out for the best. One young man I met was a good friend and I even wrote a recommendation for him to be admitted to a music program that he got into.

TSS> What have you learned through working with J.J. Brown (DJ/producer) on both your first and second album?

LL> It's been a magical stroke of luck to work with a producer who knows my sound. I know how it feels to be on the other side -- scrambling for producers and trading favors for beats -- it's not fun. I liken it to being homeless when you have no real source of criticism or inspiration right with you. With other producers it was like, it's quantity over quality. J.J. gives me a chance to say something worthwile. He gets me on the level quickly because he understands the concepts I wanna do so we don't waste time trying to figure it out. We can concentrate on making an album that sounds like a cohesive string of music.

TSS> What music are you checking for?

LL> I don't really keep up with all the hip-hop albums that come out but, I always listen to music. I'm the type of person to pick an artist and fixate on their work for a year. Right now, it's Rufus Wainwright. He has the kind of chops as a musician, to use someone's quote, to make you feel like a bad musician. I went to learn piano this year and a little guitar. Other than that, there's an underground cat, Brother Ali, who has an album I look forward to hearing. His first album was better than just good.


TSS> What's changed for you since joining the Fat Beats label?

LL> I can honestly say it's the best career move I've made thus far. Before when I went on tour, I had to do a lot of the legwork whereas now when I make stops, I have in-stores scheduled and radio shows. I just did a session on Squeeze Radio (WKCR) where I sort of got into with the callers and had to let them know what was what. It was a touchy topic.
But, as for the label, it's in the baby stage right now. We're unifying and trying to maximize our resources. We learned a lot from the first record to the point, where I'm more excited to get the second record out. My faith is intact that Misery Loves Comedy will do more than my first project (Sin-A-Matic, 2003).

TSS> Where can we find Louis Logic music?

LL> Check your local music outlet. If not, you can hear me on myspace.com/louislogic or www.louislogic.com. I'm going on tour after I do the Knitting Factory here in New York. The hometown shows are always touch-and-go because you're anxious about everything going right, people enjoying themselves. That's why I don't play New York all the time. I want to build up to it and really make it a special night.

TSS> Thanks for your time.

LL> No problem.


Selected Tracks...

"The Great Divide"
"Happy Hour"
"Between Your Legs"
"Idiot Gear"
"Who The Fuck Are You"

Selected Louis Logic tracks


For more info...


www.louislogic.com

http://www.myspace.com/louislogic

Words by DrewBreez



Stray Shots

Ray Cash - Cash On Delivery

Robin Thicke - The Evolution of Robin Thicke

Dj Drama- T.I.P- THE LEAK

Da_Muzicianz-Da_Muzicianz

DJ Side - The Renaissance (Instrumental)

Adult Swim and Chocolate Industries Presents - Choclate Swim EP

VA-DJ_Got_Now_Presents_Ludacris_and_T.I.-Disturbing_the_Kings

Omar- Sing (If You Want) New Link

Peedi Crakk - P. Crakk For Prez The Recount 2006

DJ Diggz - G-Unit Marxmen (Bootleg) - 2006

Tony Rich Project - Pictures (2006)

DJ_Scream-The_Project_Pat_Collective

The Fast & The Furious - Tokyo Drift (OST) (New Link)

Teena_Marie-Sapphire-2006

Janet_Jackson-The_Velvet_Rope-Retail-1997

The Kings of Funk Compiled by RZA & Keb Darge (2CD) (2005)

Black Sheep - A Wolf In Sheep's Clothing

Chuckii Booker - Chuckii

Jerry Butler - Mr Dream Merchant

J.Dilla Donut Samples

Lighter Shade Of Brown - Layin' In The Cut (1994)


6.21 Stray Shots Downloadable Text File

6.21 Stray Shots Changetolink Page



Latest from The Smoking Section

Smoking Section Twitter

Smoking Section Facebook

Smoking Section Archive