The Smoking Section (Masthead) Respect Our Fresh!

TSS Presents Smoking Sessions with Bone Crusher


Words By Drew Ricketts


Remember when every hardbody in the club chanted in their deepest bass to the tune of "So I'm outside of da club and you think I'm a puuuuuuuunk"

Thought so.

If you don't, you had to be under a rock for the past few years.

On the spur of the moment, we had the chance to catch up with Bone Crusher to talk about his latest recording,
Release The Beast (in stores July 18). It will be distributed on BodyHead (Roy Jones' label) in affiliation with 845 Entertainment and Bonecrusher's own Vainglorious Entertainment.


TSS> What's good with you man?

BC> I'm good. I'm working hard.

TSS> What's the deal with the Release the Beast CD I've been hearing about?

BC> We're about to do a promotional tour in the midwest. The single "Southern Gorillas" has been getting love in Atlanta, so we're happy about that.

TSS> Is there a difference working on this album versus AttenCHUN! (2003, SoSoDef/Arista)? I heard you spent a year or more with this one.

BC> It's no real difference. I'm always making songs. With AttenCHUN!, I didn't even know that was going to be my record. Arista went with it because of the single "Never Scared" and it took off. I was s'posed to put out four or five albums with [Jive Records] afterward but it never happened. They didn't get behind that.

TSS> What is it like to have worked with many of the artists now receiving the spotlight in the South?



BC> Of course, it's great. I've been doing this for a while and see the strength of our music is working together. We can all eat and we should be doing this together. It feels great but none of us really own it. We need to put ourselves in the position to own this music we produce.

TSS> Do you think the trend is toward jumping on what's hot rather than doing stuff you like?

BC> Trends are trends. That's why they're called that. I don't wanna make that so I don't worry about it. It's all about 'show and prove.'

TSS> Will this album get you deserved credit for your lyrical talents?

BC> I don't even think about that. Critics will find problems in everything. Release the Beast has some good songs on there... I like "Southern Gorillas" -- I'm on that with Yung 20 from my label and my boy Cotin Mouf -- and "Lights, Camera, Action." People will think what they want to...

TSS> I heard you'll be on the next Celebrity Fit Club? Have you taped already?

BC> Yeah. I'm actually in L.A. taping the show right now.

TSS> Do you think the public responds more to rappers because they are appear on shows like that one?

BC> I'm having fun with it. I don't look it at is anything but that. I want to do this for me.

TSS> It was good talking to you, brother. You have some great insights.

BC>
Same here. Take care.



Click to stream "Southern Gorillas"

For more info, feel free to visit http://www.myspace.com/atlbonecrusher and 845 Entertainment



Previous Smoking Sessions

DJ Neil Armstrong

Kareem Johnson

Phonte of Little Brother

Louis Logic

Bobbito Garcia




Stray Shots

VA-DJ_Kay_Slay-RnB_Models_Pt._6

Too_Short-American_Pimps_(Official_Mixtape)

VA-Peanut_Butter_Wolf_Presents-Stones_Throw_10_Years-Vinyl-2006-

VA-Tapemasters_Inc._And_Styles_P.-The_Inc._Files_Pt._9-

Big_Mike-Cruel_Summer_2k6-

D-Block_Presents_The_Mixtape

J.R. Writer-History in the Making

Nas-Illmatic

Nas - Illmatic II The Album We Deserve

AZ - Pieces Of A Man

Jay-z - In My Lifetime, Vol. 1

MED - Push Come To Shove

Roc 'C' - All Questions Answered

Jaylib - Champion Sound


7.2 Stray Shots Downloadable Text File

7.2 Stray Shots Changetolink Page


Latest from The Smoking Section

Smoking Section Twitter

Smoking Section Facebook

Smoking Section Archive