The Smoking Section (Masthead) Respect Our Fresh!

"...I think of crime when I'm in a New York state of mind"

What verse do I know better than any other in the whole world?

Which one do I sing in the shower, sometimes unconsciously, sometimes when I can't think of nothin else to sing?




















"Be havin dreams that I'ma gangster -- drinkin Moets, holdin Tecs
Makin sure the cash came correct then I stepped
Investments in stocks, sewein up the blocks
to sell rocks, winnin gunfights with mega cops
But just a nigga, walking with his finger on the trigger
Make enough figures until my pockets get bigger
I ain't the type of brother made for you to start testin
Give me a Smith and Wessun I'll have niggaz undressin
Thinkin of cash flow, buddah and shelter
Whenever frustrated I'ma hijack Delta
In the P.J.'s, my blend tape plays, bullets are strays
Young bitches is grazed each block is like a maze
full of black rats trapped, plus the Island is packed
From what I hear in all the stories when my peoples come back, black
I'm livin where the nights is jet black
The fiends fight to get crack I just max, I dream I can sit back
and lamp like Capone, with drug scripts sewn
Or the legal luxury life, rings flooded with stones, homes
I got so many rhymes I don't think I'm too sane
Life is parallel to Hell but I must maintain
and be prosperous, though we live dangerous
cops could just arrest me, blamin us, we're held like hostages
It's only right that I was born to use mics
and the stuff that I write, is even tougher than dykes
I'm takin rappers to a new plateau, through rap slow
My rhymin is a vitamin, held without a capsule
The smooth criminal on beat breaks
Never put me in your box if your shit eats tapes
The city never sleeps, full of villians and creeps
That's where I learned to do my hustle had to scuffle with freaks
I'ma addict for sneakers, twenties of buddah and bitches with beepers
In the streets I can greet ya, about blunts I teach ya
Inhale deep like the words of my breath
I never sleep, cause sleep is the cousin of death
I lay puzzle as I backtrack to earlier times
Nothing's equivalent, to the New York state of mind"

Nasty Nas



"New York State Of Mind


This album made me want to be a rapper.

I used to know just about all the words to every song, the adlibs, the song order. All that.

I even had my moves with the mic and across the stage all patterned and ready in case KRS got sick & Ms. Melody called and said they needed a star off the bench.

What makes this album the perennial hip-hop experience?

• The universal shout & energy of the crowd, imagining them chanting “bo bo bo” and jumping up and down

• The classics performed. “The Bridge Is Over” live? Fahgetaboutit.
• The early meshing of hip-hop with dancehall stylings on display
• The new joints (at that time…from the Edutainment album
• The enthusiasm of Kris, Kenny & the whole crew
• The sirens, the gunclaps…the sound effects invoked during the performance
• The knowledge dropped, par the course for KRS

Here, let me do some explaining
Abraham was the father of Isaac
Isaac was the father of Jacob
Jacob had twelve sons, for real
And these, were the children of Isreal
According to Genesis chapter ten
Egyptains descended from {Hahm,Kam}
Six hundred years later, my brother, read up
Moses was born in Egypt
In this era black Egyptians weren't right
They enslaved black Isrealites
Moses had to be of the black race
Because he spent fourty years in Pharoah's place
He passed as the Pharoah's grandson
So he had to look just like him
Yes my brothers and sisters take this here song
Yo, correct the wrong
The information we get today is just wack
But ask yourself, why is that?



























Boogie Down Productions - Live Hardcore Worldwide: London Paris NYC


And while we’re at it….this might be one of the sickest album covers ever (somebody upload the album! I know ya'll got it).


























Kris is hip-hop. He may be a little out of touch with what’s current but he’s still the essence of what our culture is about and was formed on – braggadocio , lyrics, charisma, love for the art and wisdom to teach the people.



We usually try to stay away from "unknown" artists but we got a special request. We recieved a contribution from GermanLuger who writes...

Princess Superstar

Very interesting, kinda goofy, sometimes serious. All are very accurate of NYC's very own Princess Superstar. She started in the game on a punk rock vibe. Quickly fell into mixing the punk with hip hop. Attracted the attention of Kool Keith after her track "Kool Keith's Ass" hit airwaves. Has maintained all her rights to her music. Writes her own rhymes and produces some of her own beats as well.


Princess Superstar - Strictly Platinum

Princess Superstar - Princess Superstar Is...

Part 1 Part 2

PW for both is mcboozo

Give it a shot & let us know what you think.



Love is love to everybody who pitched in with the contributions.

Be sure to check the Stray Shots because there's a whole lotta heat, new and old, mixed off in there.

Throw up something yourself and keep this spot pumpin like the 1st & the 15th.

Click some ads as you browse around pimpin'.

Spread the word & bring a friend.

Have a good fuckin holiday.

Salute!

Gotty & the whole SS crew!




Stray Shots

(We'll be adding more and more so be sure to check back)

RZA - Birth Of A Prince

Part 1 Part 2


Capone-N-Noreaga - The War Report

3 6 Mafia - Memphis Instrumentals

Kardinal_Offishall-Fire_And_Glory-2005

PW is uploaded-by-E-MARV (shoutouts to E-Marv)

Talib Kweli - Right About Now: The Official Sucka Free CD

PW is RocLaFamilia

Need more Talib? thecharivarioussection.blogspot.com

Snoop Doggy Dogg & Dr Dre - From Compton To Long Beach

Diplomat Records Presents SAS - Streets All Salute


Part 1 Part 2

Juvenile - Tha G-Code

King Geedorah aka MF Doom - Take Me to Your Leader


MF DOOM - Operation Doomsday


Need more Doom? thecharivarioussection.blogspot.com


Juelz Santana - What The Game's Been Missing!

Juelz Santana & Diplomats Present Jay Bezel - The Philadelphia Beast

I-20 - Self Explanatory (2004)

The Soul Searchers - We The People (1972)

DJ Premier - Step Ya Game Up Mixtape

J-Love_Ghostface_Killah_And_Trife-NY_Backbone_(Theodore_Unit)

PW is bigx

Chicago Gangsters - I Choose You (1975)

Kochece- D-Block & The 5 Heartbeats Part 3 (FUCK DIDDY)-2005 Fresh Link, No Pass

Grant Green - Alive (1970)

Crucial Conflict - The Final Tic Fresh Link, No Pass

Outkast - ATLiens

Outkast - Aquemini

Puff_Daddy-No_Way_Out-1997

Crucial Conflict - The Final Tic

Jungle Bros. - Done By The Forces Of Nature

Change to rar


Children Of The Corn - Collectors Edition

Brandy - Full Moon

Chris Brown - Chris Brown

Prince_-_Purple_Rain

Backup Link

New Jagged Edge Sampler

1. So Amazing (full version)
2. Good Luck Charm
3. Seasons Change (f/ John Legend on piano)
4. Hopefully
5. Pour A Lil Liquor (f/ Killer Mike & Sosa)
6. Watch You



Edit - Fresh Adds

Usher Presents-In The Mix Soundtrack

Change extension from .nba to .rar

Kinfolk Presents The Best of Usher Vol. 1 (The Slow Jams)

PW is kinfolk (Shoutouts to kinfolk from the BX)

This is just a sick cover & needed to be shared w/the link lol.

























Diplomats Presents Purple Bunch Matrix 2:Reloaded

PW is haze


Samurai Champloo Soundtrack (Instrumental)

Instrumental Beats

Hi-Tek - Beats and Grooves


RZA Presents Bobby Digital In Stereo

8 Mile OST

Beastie Boys - To The 5 Borughs

Bizzy Bone - Heaven's Movie

Lazie & Bizzy - Bone Brothers

Bone Crusher - AttenCHUN!

Busta Rhymes - When Disaster Strikes

Busta Rhymes - When Disaster Strikes

Busta Rhymes - Extinction Level Event - The Final World Front

Busta Rhymes - Genesis

Cam'ron - Harlem's Finest

Dark Lotus - Tales From The Lotus Pod


D12 - Devil's Night

D12 - D12 World

Da Brat - Anuthatantrum

DJ Thoro- Cuban Link 2 & Fishscale (The Prequel)

Backup Link

BG - Its All On You volumes 1 & 2

Damian Jr. Gong Marley - Welcome To Jamrock

DJ Mick Boogie - T.I. & young jeezy-Dirty Work 4 (More Hustle & Snow)





Oh yeah...you may want to check Dante's Inferno. That's like the fake airbag stash spot in the coupe where we been hiding the extra shit.

EDIT - OUR Requests...yeah, we need help too sometimes lol.

* Hed Kandi
* Ministry Of Sound - House Nation 05
* Goapele - Change It All
* Natalise - I Came To Play
* Erin Jennae - Have You Seen Me
* Adina Howard - Private Show
* Glenn Lewis - Back For More
*Dilated Peoples - The Platform
*Wyclef Jean - The Preacher's Son
*Tony Toni Tone - House Of Music | Sons Of Soul | The Revival
*Boogie Down Productions - Sex & Violence
*T La Rock - Lyrical King

Latest from The Smoking Section

Smoking Section Twitter

Smoking Section Facebook