The Smoking Section (Masthead) Respect Our Fresh!

"The Weight Of This Sad Time We Must Obey..."

Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say.
The oldest hath borne the most; we that are young
Shall never see so much, nor live so long.


"King Lear" Shakespeare



At times, current generations are inured to the idea of death.

A rapper dies, everybody shouts them out in songs, bites their lines or finds some scrap vocals and creates a "new" song under the premise that they're keeping the slain's memory alive.

When common folk die, folk are quick to put'em on a R.I.P. t-shirt with some cliche saying.

But when you stop to think about it, it reminds of your own mortality.

A few years ago, I had a discussion with my mom about it all.

She wondered why I lived in a semi-paranoid state with a numerous amount of firearms, extra locks and bars on the door, always feeling pressed. She wondered, why if I had so many positive things going on around me, I still chose to live so wreckless.

I had to go ahead & breakdown to confirm for her what she already knew & had heard but of course didn't want to believe.

Momma I always been puttin in work on these aggins & who knows if or when it's gonna come back to bite me in the ass or if God's gonna forgive me.

She cried.

To tell the truth, I prolly cried that day too.

Time has passed and I don't live half as wreckless.

At the same time, I know just because I took myself out the game that the game didn't stop. The game doesn't change, just the players.

So for now, I live & enjoy each day as much as I possibly can knowing that when the time comes, I did it as best I could.

And when the time comes, if I get to the pearly gates, I think whoever's holdin the books will know that I did what I had to do, what I wanted to do & what I thought was best while I was on earth.

Yeah...we lived savagely.

We was in this world...but tried our best not to be of it.



God Bless The Dead



Playa Fly - "Nobody Needs Nobody"

Latest from The Smoking Section

Smoking Section Twitter

Smoking Section Facebook