"He nicknamed me 'K-Rock' so they'd leave me alone/
Bulls jacket with his hat broke way off..."
Gangbanging is fundamentally quitenssential essential element of Chicago's existence.
Yeah yeah...I know, there's more to Chi than just that.
But at it's core, Chicago's core is gang related, more so than any city.
Daley's political machine
The Hamburgs & various Irish gangs
And dear Lord, the Black gangs...Hoover, Fort, Barksdale, G.D.N., B.P.S.N., C.V.L., ALKQN, "Amor Del Rey", "All Is Well," "Brothers Of The Struggle"...
Regardless of what you've seen portrayed, the first organized Black gangs, that are still relevant, began in Chicago.
And a casual understanding of the music culture and artists of Chi is a testament that gangs have a hand in the career of nearly every artist.
Some just show respect.
But to survive, one has to be affiliated...even R&B swingas like R and Donell, everybody's affiliated.
Common has always referenced it. ("My foundation is in black block of niggas that rock they hat cock" or "I go to Doc's to get a A fishwish with cheese/I don't mix with MCs/ cause I just don't like them motherfuckers...")
Kanye mentioned it in vague in several songs (The above mentioned line)
Twista, Bump J, Do Or Die...name it, they've all made mention of it.
And with all the fake gangbanging and set claiming runnin rampant in the industry, I was glad to finally hear somebody do it some justice.
Lupe Fiasco - "Tilted"
Not to glorify but to properly address it.
Respect due to the Folk & People's Nations.
Common - "Maintaining"
Larry Hoover and The Black Gangster Disciple Nation
Black P. Stone Nation
Conservative Vice Lords
Latin King Nation
Free The Chief!
• For the umpteenth time, if you have a request, contribute something first. Otherwise, personally, I'll be ignoring you unless it's something I have handy or want to share. Your contributions are what keep this spot going.
• Click some ads! Let us make a little paper if you want to support us spending time here on the daily.
• Support the artists & buy the album if you like the music.
• Respect due to the cats who laced us with a contributions over the past few days.
• Got music you want to share? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and include the artist, album, filesharing link & password (if applicable). Your contributions are what keeps this joint moving.
• Come see us @ Myspace and be sure to join the group. We try to circulate update info & some extras thru there.
• Mob Style - Game Of Death or any other album
• Organized Konfusion - The Equinox
• Animal Pharm - Pharmaceuticals
• Charli Baltimore - The Dark Half mixtape
Keep checking in because we'll be continually updating this section.
(I'll prolly have words on this later)
Dru Hill - Hits [Retail]
John Mayer - Inside Wants Out
John Mayer - Room For Squares
John Mayer - Heavier Things
Trey Songz Discography (Album, Mixtapes, Bonus Tracks)
Michael Franks - The Lady Wants To Know
Gorillaz - Demon Days
Maxwell - MTV Unplugged
Wyclef Jean Presents the Carnival Featuring the Refugee Allstars Props To Flymad
DJ Ayres and JD - Houston for Dummies Props To Dre
Jay-z - Library Of A Legend (All Ten Discs) Text File