The Smoking Section (Masthead) Respect Our Fresh!

"Jah Irie Feelin'...."

Tatoos are expression and therapy.

Hear me out.

I've got roughly thirteen tatoos with plans to end up with way more than that, including full arm sleeves.

For many, they are a form of expression and I fit that bill. I'm not the best at expressing what I'm truly feeling or what's driving me to do most of the shit I do, be it absurd or mundane. Through the artwork displayed on my body, a person can learn alot about me though. Yes, I'm morbid at times, slightly paranoid and preoccupied with death and violence lol. I make no bones about it. It's me. It's that slight fear that keeps me driven to accomplish as much as I can every waking moment and be sure to leave my mark. So, the skulls and the dark sayings etched into my skin reveal that side of me that's been shaped by some of life's less fascinating experiences. At times, I see the life of anyone who's put in time in the streets and made it out as the life of a war vet. You've seen and done things that won't ever let you just be a "normal member of society." Even if you fool the world, in yourself, you'll always know that you're viewing the world from a different set of glasses and you'll always handle situations by a different set of mores and principles.

At the same time, I'm deeply spiritual but I don't think many people know it. I mean, I'm not a church-goer. I don't run around spouting off verses and scriptures either. But, I'm constantly aware of the effects of good and evil and I feel as if good is driving me. But at the same time, I live in reality and "the devil is always workin" as the old folk would say. I'm a product of that as well as evidenced by my past. At times, I need/want reminders of my faith in a higher power because some days I have to wonder who's steering this thing really. As well, I want to profess that faith without standing on a soapbox near the local service station or selling fruit and newspapers in a suit on a hot day. And, I'm artistic (I mean we're hearing discussing music as art, and I love literature). Tats are just my homage to another element of the liberal arts and that being art itself.

So, all of my tats are designed as one whole work of art set to display the different sides of my personality and beliefs. Add into the equation that I'm a Gemini (two personalities) and my "body art" turns into a masterpiece like Picasso. One side of my body is dedicated to "good" and the other to "not good" lol.

And when I sit in that chair and the needle starts humming...a release happens that might only be equaled by sex. My lil homie Ruff asked me was it a sort of "cutting" ritual like the emo kids do. I don't think so. I think it's a harmless, beautiful thing and a place where I find true relaxation.

Yes, I have a professional job. I wear longsleeves everyday to avoid the discussion, positive or negative. I'm a firm believer that my tats are for me and not the world so I don't feel the need to "show them off."

Yes, I have a daughter and we often talk about Daddy's tatoos and what they mean.

No, I don't give a fuck what they'll look like when I'm 60. Hell, I wasn't really planning on makin it to 21 so I'm enjoyin each day as an experience unto itself. I worry about 60 when it gets here.

Blah blah blah....on to the music.

Truth be told, only reggae music matters. It's the only genre out that praises God while making you shake your pum-pum.

And no other artist brought reggae to the forefront like Robert Nesta Marley. I found Bob music just like everybody else...while I was sippin on the chalice lol. Once I found him though, I realized it was about way more than that. Politics. Social commentary. Praising a higher power.

Over the next few posts, I'm going to up fourteen albums of Bob music (as his wife, Rita, calls it) and I hope you grow to enjoy Bob as much as millions of others have.

We'll get the ball rolling with two early albums.

Bob Marley & The Wailers Abridged Catalog - Part One

Catch A Fire

Burnin'

We'll keep the ball rolling with what was was hastily started the other day and interrupted by computer problems...

Sade Catalog - Part Two

Stronger Than Pride (1988)

Love Deluxe (1992)


Other Music

Uh...I think Beans is out and we officially have a problem with State Prop. Seems dudes ain't hold him down while he was locked in the box. Check it for yourself.

Sheek Louch - Kiss Ya Ass Goobye (Remix featuring Fabolous Beanie Siegel & Jadakiss)


Jody Breeze ft. 8ball - "Ballin My Life Away"

Young Jeezy featuring Mase & Slick Pulla - "Agressive"

Yolanda Adams - Day By Day

PW - Dukins

Mick Boogie-Hustle And Snow Mixtape(Hosted_By_Young_Jeezy)

pw = msp

Lauryn Hill - "Keep It Tight"

DJ Kool Kid - I Got That Drank Pt. 2 (Hosted By Three Six Mafia)

Part 1 Part 2

Pw - dank

This joint had a pretty thoro tracklisting (find your own...if for nothing else but to see the pic of Buffie lol).

DJ Kay Slay - Celebrity Status Vol. 1 (Hosted By Buffie The Body)

DJ Kool Kid - Ridin Shotgun Pt. 2 (Hosted By Jim Jones)

Latest from The Smoking Section

Smoking Section Twitter

Smoking Section Facebook