The Smoking Section (Masthead) Respect Our Fresh!

Vuja Dé

Vuja Dé: the strange feeling you get that nothing has happened before.

Comedian George Carlin coined this term. I heard it relayed from a speaker before at a ceremony. It's the exact opposite of deja vu, or the idea that you've experienced something before. Vuja Dé is the idea that there are some things in life that we experience for one moment in life and we'll never experience them again. So for that moment, we should stop and soak it all in because once it's gone, it's gone.

I remember way way back being on stage rapping along right beside Scarface when he was performing and vuja de hit me. I said to myself "I'm up here beside Mr. Scarface" and cheesin this big ass Cheshire cat grin because he was that dude when I was in high school. To be standing beside him while he was performing was unreal.

My daughter lost her first tooth today...vuja de. Coincidentally, she's camping out waiting for the tooth fairy to make an appearance.


When I came out the bathroom at the Mix Factory, gone like two sheets in wind, and bumped into some dude with a Jesus piece the size of both of your fists combined, a piece that made mine look like a crusty golden booger....and looking up and realizing it was Ghostface...that was vuja de (RZA blew a whole forest w/me and Big City that night. That was definitely vuja de). Time froze. We looked at each other and sparked a convo. Gave'em dap and kept it moving but the whole experience stayed with me.

When they told me Athan got killed, the world suddenly stopped and then started spinning so fast I had to sit down...vuja de.

Some of the people I've met and interacted with, my whole relationship with them has been vuja de because I knew I'd never meet another person like them.

So, to you, dear reader, I want you to "stop and smell the roses" a little more often. What sparked this? I had a chance encounter with an old friend recently. Yeah, I knew'em forever but it was like meeting a new person all over again since I hadn't seen them in ages. And a few times during our exchanges, I caught myself looking at them because I knew...it may be forever, if never, before I got to see them again. Either way, I knew I'd never get to relive those moments again. I'm mad they had to go but I'm glad they were here even if it was only for a brief period.

Those people and those experiences touch our souls, spark our brains and create vivid memories that will last a lifetime.

Ahh...enough with the rambling. On to the music.

A new R track for you

R. Kelly - "Kickin It With Your Girlfriend"


Just to keep it real, I ain't the biggest Lil Wayne fan but this joint is ok.

Lil Wayne - "Don't Cry"

This is old but I had a effed up day yesterday so this is today's theme music lol. Love is for the birds.

Ol' Dirty Bastard feat. Lil' Mo "Good Morning Heartache"




I try as best I can to keep you characters up on the latest R&B mixtapes since that's what the overwhelming majority of you like. Me? Gimme that old boom bap but I can deal with R&B thrown off in the mix. I put personal feeling aside though to bring you this joint...


Click the pic for a tracklisting.

DJ ENVY R&B 21 The PEOPLES CHOICE 2005


It had to be broken into two seperate files for download. Work around it.

Part 1 Part 2






I'm fairly sure I ain't the only one who loves that Memphis shit so here goes the new one from the boy from the Bay. I'm lovin the name of the album. I need that as a tat.

Frayser Boy - Me Being Me

Latest from The Smoking Section

Smoking Section Twitter

Smoking Section Facebook