The Smoking Section (Masthead) Respect Our Fresh!

"Dusted"



















It's hard to put a finger on this man's appeal to me.

I wanted to review his self-titled album a while back but never really got around to it & now his new joint has dropped so it's proper time to give him some shine so you'll check for him.

Van Hunt's voice sounds like a slightly deeper, more toned version of Prince sans the exotic behaviors. As well, he's able to portray sensuality with his voice & lyrics, but never sounding too "neo-soul" to me because I generally don't like that shit. Alot of artists who are pigeon-holed in that category rely on the screams, wails and the idea of being "in touch with their emotions" to sell them. You don't really get that from son as it feels more like he's singing about life & love from experience.

Both are these consist of acoustic tracks (woohoo...I love it!) Standout tracks from these two selections - "Dust", "Down Here In Hell" and "Precious".

Give them a listen and be sure to check for his other work we've previously posted (FYI - I prefer his previous work to his new one but perhaps it'll grow on me)...

Van Hunt

The Napster Sessions


1. Dust
2. Down Here In Hell
3. Seconds Of Pleasure
4. Simply Beatuiful


Van Hunt - The Napster Sessions


Acoustic EP


1. Hidden Charms
2. Seconds Of Pleasure
3. Precious


Van Hunt - Acoustic EP






















Fat Joe

Love Hate

To be one of the least recognized cats in the game, Joe Crack always seems to evoke either one of these two emotions from listeners...passionately.

I'm a fan of the dude personally but I won't gush over him because I think I'm respectful of the history behind him and the image - the street thuggery (dig deep and check Crack's track record), the graff artist, the shoe enthusiast.

Lyrically, again...love hate.

Even if you knock him, there's something about the "let me bare my soul for you" drive behind this series of songs, first to last, that has to make you respect him for doing all he's done in the game. And each one is accompanied with some of the best beats around...the tremendous swells of the second one, the ill piano supplied by Premo on part one, and deep haunting basslines of part three.

And always, revealing each go-round...

"I'm sick and tired of stressin, every days a different lesson
I'm free-fallin tryna leave this deep depression
My son Joey still slow, my moms got cancer in her throat
My big brother sniffin dope

Lemme know how many motherfucker wanna be just like me
Screamed at and treated like shit by your wifey
This hot bitch be sweatin the coke cash
My baby mother think I grow dough out my ass
It's like, how much fight I got left in me?
Niggaz won't be happy till they bring the fuckin death of me
But you never see Joe look weak or flow off beat
and Charlie sees the board in four more weeks
"

"Still Real (Shit Is Real Part Two)"


Fat Joe - "Shit Is Real"

Fat Joe - "Still Real (Shit Is Real Part Two)"

Fat Joe - "Shit Is Real Part Three"



Salute!

Gotty™



Support the artists! Also, be sure to visit DownhillBattle.org.

Drop us a Paypal donation. We've got things we want to do to enable us to be able to do more with maintaining and upgrading. Ten cents or ten dollars...it's all welcome and appreciated. If you can't do that, be sure to visit our sponsors ads.

Our Requests

Lil' Keke - It Was All A Dream

Charli Baltimore - The Dark Half Mixtape

Slicc - Who tha Hell is Slicc

Lil' Keke - It Was All A Dream


Stray Shots

Scarface - My Homies, Part Two (TWO DISCS)

Darryl Hall & John Oates - Rock & Soul Part 1 Greatest Hits

Matisyahu - Youth

3XKrazy - Stackin' Chips

Jay-Z - Grey Album

Kool Keith - Sex Style

Do Or Die - Get That Paper (2006)

Game-G.A.M.E [Retail][2006]

Little Brother - The Commercial Free EP - 2006 [Retail]

Lyfe Jennings-Lyfe 268-192-(Special Edition)

DNA featuring Chopper - The Re-Up

DJ Jazzy Jeff - Hip Hop Forever Volume II

Chi-Ali - The Fabulous Chi-Ali

Sadat X - Experience & Education

Jean Grae - This Week

Mobb Deep - Hell on Earth

Bobby Brown - The Definitive Collection

Pink - I'm Not Dead [Retail][2006]

Warren G-Return of the Regulator

Xzibit-At the Speed of Life

The Best of Sade

Too $hort-Short Dog's in the House

The Time - The Time

The Color Changin Click-Homer Pimpson

Parliament-Tear the Roof Off (1974-1980)(Two Discs)

Totally Insane-Backstreet Life

The Coup-Genocide & Juice

The Black Eyed Peas-Behind the Front

The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness

KO47 - Big Beat Tracks

Charlie Murphy - Live in Atlanta, GA [2006]



3.25 Text File

3.25 ChangeLink Page


Props to DENEIRE, Mohanesburg & Rely for their contributions today and everyday

Latest from The Smoking Section

Smoking Section Twitter

Smoking Section Facebook

Smoking Section Archive