The Smoking Section (Masthead) Respect Our Fresh!

My First True Experiences...





















A skinny Kay Slay to the far right...well worth showing.


...with jazz came years ago.

I was sixteen & the dude who put me on was a junior at a prominent liberal arts college.

Honestly, I was just around because those liberal arts, head in the clouds dudes had the natural material to get anybody's head into the clouds lol. Piffery in it's finest form.

I digress.

One of the first vinyls I remember dude cueing up was a John Coltrane album and he proceeded to tell me that John's wife, Alice, was accompanying him on piano.

From there, I was officially hooked on jazz.

I can't always tell you who's playing what or the chord they're playing because I have no formal musical training. Barely ever touched an instrument.

But I've managed to learn a little bit more, year after year and with each listening.

Fast forward to now...

It's still hard for me to point out the intricacies contained in some jazz music upon intial listening. So, I have to listen to it several times.

I just know it's abstract art & it is appreciable because it takes my mind somewhere.

Such is this case with this album and I was burning to share my joy with you.

I was torn between getting it up & at you all asap because after one listen, I was in the zone & wanted to share it.

But to circumevent the whole reviewing process, I'll let you just read what the homie Chari had to say.

And then let you enjoy the album courtesy of their crew.

Alice Coltrane - Journey in Satchidananda




Next up, I get alot of random contributions. Some I enjoy; some I don't. But I try to listen to them all.

This joint, I liked.

Smooth & seamless blending.

It's got a good riding in the car after work vibe or maybe a slice of life catering to grown folks grooving somewhere exotic on vacation, like Stella gettin her groove back.

Either way, I liked it.

DJ Bounce - Good Shit (2004)

Check for more of Bounce at Myspace where he'll be premiering Warrior.fm, his new radio show. Also, there's another mix of his & tracklistings below.



In the same vein of understandble smooth shit, you'll find the complete collection of the Hidden Beach Recordings below. It's a mix of jazzed out versions of hip-hop tracks. While I prefer it when go-go artist do shit like this, it's bound to be a treat to some of you who enjoy this subgenre of sorts so I'm glad to share.

Hidden Beach Recordings Presents Unwrapped Volume 1

Hidden Beach Recordings Presents Unwrapped Volume 2

Hidden Beach Recordings Presents Unwrapped Volume 3

Hidden Beach Recordings Presents Unwrapped Volume 4



And I couldn't leave you without some type of hip-hop...but truly Vakill is all I'm listening to and I'm stuck on it.

So in a roundabout way, here's some art and here's the connection to hip-hop.

Hidden Beach is a label co-owned by Michael Jordan

Damn near every hip-hop artists can trace some of his swagger back to Jordan's days as a Chicago Bull.

And the recent commercial he's got out for his latest shoe is remarkable, casting kids trying their best to be like Mike.

To tie it all together, here's a synched up version of the commercial and the actual moves mimmicked.





There.

But if that ain't enough, rewind and catchup on my dude 40 Cal. Son is prolly one of the most entertaining but slept on member of the Dips. He isn't charismatic as Cam. He don't talk slick as much as Jimmy. And he's not as entertaining as Juelz.

He's a bit more of each of those aforementioned dudes.

Yeah...I said it. Sue me. Feel free to disagree.

40 Cal - 40 Calories Mixtape

40 Cal - Open Your Eyes Mixtape

Change to rar.

As usual, the smorgasbord is below.

There should be something for everyone so be sure to tell a friend who got this blog shit on lock. We're expanding our horizons for the moment while hip-hop is slow, as you should as well.


Salute!

Gotty™


• Help Retro out by buying his shit! eBay status, help a poor bastard out.

Support the artists! Also, be sure to visit DownhillBattle.org.

Drop us a Paypal donation. We've got things we want to do to enable us to be able to do more with maintaining and upgrading. Ten cents or ten dollars...it's all welcome and appreciated. If you can't do that, be sure to visit our sponsors ads.

Want to see what I'm actually listening to? Take a peek

Now join the darkside and see what the rest of cats from here are listening to.

Smoking Section's Last.FM group



Our Requests

• Anyone have any DJ SHI'ITE Mixtapes? If so, give us a holler on the email. It's been on the want list for a while. Anyone able to hook us up, it would be greatly appreciated.

Charli Baltimore - The Dark Half Mixtape

Bill Cosby - Hello Friends,To Ennis with Love

Slicc - Who tha Hell is Slicc

Lil' Keke - It Was All A Dream


Stray Shots



VA-DJ_Kay_Slay-Down_With_The_King_Part_4(The Final Chapter)-(Bootleg)-2006

Tha Alkaholiks - Likwidation

Rap Essentials - The Rebirth

Mountain Brothers - Self: Volume I

Luniz - Operation Stackola

TRU - Understanding the Criminal Mind

Messy Marv - Messcalen Pt. 2: Scrapas, Stunnas & White Tees

Bizzy Bone-Heaven'z Movie

E-40 - The Element of Surprise (Two Discs)

UGK - Trill Azz Mixes

Krayzie Bone - Gemini:Good vs. Evil

D12 - Devil's Night

Tommy Wright III-Genesis:Greatest Underground Hits (Two Discs)

Warren G - I Want it All

Do or Die-Headz or Tailz

E.C. Illa-Illa LP

Z-Ro-Look What You Did to Me

Whodini-The Jive Collection Series Vol.1

Various Artists-The Wicked Streets of Chi: The Classics

Eminem-Infinite

MC Breed-The Best of Breed

Esham-Judgment Day Vol.1

Esham-Judgment Day Vol.2

Spice 1 & MC Eiht-Keep it Gangsta

The Last Dragon Soundtrack

Krush Groove Soundtrack

Set It Off Soundtrack

DJ FSNS - 9th Wonder Samples

Dj_Drama_Project_Pat-Gangsta Grillz 15

DJ Whoo Kid & Mase - G-Unit Radio Pt. 16

Juicy J-Chronicles of the Juice Man

Dave Chappelle - Killin Them Softly

Limp Bizkit - Chocolate Starfish And The Hot Dog Flavored Water


David Axelrod Abridged Discography


Songs Of Innocence

Songs Of Experience

Victim Of The Joke



White Stripes Discography

The White Stripes

De Stijl

White Blood Cells

Elephant

Get Behind Me Satan



3.20 Text File

3.20 ChangeLink Page

Latest from The Smoking Section

Smoking Section Twitter

Smoking Section Facebook

Smoking Section Archive